Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Broken Wing

 
I guess it was bound to happen eventually, right?  Isn't breaking a bone sort of like a "Rite of Passage"?
Well, it all happened after our neighbors down the road moved away and left their giant trampoline behind.  I think I was just as excited to try it out as the kiddies.  It was only the second time they had headed off to bounce when my little toughie here, came down and landed funny on his arm.  Daddy and Grandpa heard the SNAP right away and then saw the dreaded deformity near his elbow.  Amazingly, this guy did not scream and cry.  He whimpered a little and said "ow, ow, ow" and that was that.  We spent the rest of the day in the ER mending the broken wing... a fractured ulna, which pushed the radius out of socket and stretched nerves.  No surgery required as of yet.  We go back in a couple weeks for more x-rays and the cast (right now just a splint keeping those little "green sticks" all together). 
I have to say the entire day I was cool as a cucumber.  This is completely due to the fact that my little man here was SO brave.  He had to lie in hospital bed for nearly 8 HOURS (with no food or drink) before they could take him back to fix the arm (reason being, they had to put him under general anesthesia and he could have anything in the belly).  I don't recall him complaining at all unless we moved the arm.  Daddy sat by his bedside and held it in place the entire time.  
I think, being the middle child and all, he was probably eating up the undivided attention!  And it got me thinking, this may be the first (and last) time this guy gets his Mama and Daddy all to himself for 8 whole hours.  So, I tried to soak it up.  Really, a blessing in disguise for a sandwiched kid :)

btw, isn't this just the prettiest version of this song you ever heard? 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Chinny and Poom said...

Oh sweet Soren. I always have a soft spot for the middles since I was one. :)
I love you Sory!!!!!
BTW, that song Baby Mine always makes me cry. Thanks

Ashley said...

I love how proudly Soren shows his injury in the picture. I think breaks and injuries are like trophies for boys. How is he doing btw?