Monday, September 19, 2011

Sign of the Times

“This recession won’t be over till we raise a generation that knows to live on what they’ve got.”
I think this sums it right up.  And what a difficult lesson.  I think we all know this and have all had it drilled into our heads by parents or grandparents.  How to resist living beyond our means?  How to resist  temptation and pressure, surrounding us constantly?  Paying straight up cash for everything is one way.  I tell ya, it's a lot harder to buy that cute top or purchase a new car when you've got to plunk down your hard earned dollars for it.   Always easier swiping the card or borrowing someone else's money.  This has certainly been a work in progress for the Madskaggs.  I wonder if it will ever get easier.  Will it ever just become second nature to not desire anything more?  Living where we do helps. There isn't a lot of pressure to have material things.  It's very casual, laid back, our friends are all very down to earth and couldn't care less about the haves and have nots.  We are very fortunate that the best things in our part of the world are definitely free.  The beautiful outdoors is always beckoning, awesome family just down the hill.  Still, there's always that little nudge saying "Oh, if we could only live there".  Not saying I'm not happy right where I've been planted- I AM and always so grateful.  While living within your means can be difficult, living below them can be even harder to swallow.  But, for us I believe it is necessary. Going into this new school year, I am determined to make this my goal.  Goal I said.  I've got my work cut out for me!  I think we need to start by holding each other accountable.  See who can spend the least.  Not including food (although excessive eating out is a no no in my book).  I refuse to skimp on good food for my family, though I do try to buy what's on sale and in season.  I'm talkin' 'bout all the other toys, gizmos and gadgets that just pile up and create clutter in my life.  And don't get me started on clothes.  Really how many of our clothes do we actually wear?  I think I wear about a quarter of my closet right now... possibly less.  I just got rid of two trash bags full, but as I type this I am thinking I need to do another sweep.  Hmmm... I shall keep you posted.

1 comment:

Jess said...

This is something we're also working on. I want nothing more than to live simply, but it's so easy to get sucked into "keeping up with the Joneses."