Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Traditional Thanksgiving

Menu:
Pastured Turkey
Mashed Potatoes (made with cultured butter, raw milk and sea salt)
Green Salad
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
"Dirty Rice" Stuffing (made with brown rice, sausage, liver and spices)
Sprouted Grain Muffins
Homemade Sauerkraut
Pumpkin Squash Pie
Apple Pie
Homemade Whipped Cream
Homemade Spiced Cider

*(all ingredients 100% organic)

It was intimate Thanksgiving this year with just the Madskaggs and Grandma Ann and Grandpa Ran. Therefore, we kept the menu simple and spent the day relaxing and enjoying each other. It also helped that it was 72 degrees at Grandma's that day, so the boys spent the day outside, while the women folk cooked ;)

The food was absolutely delicious and satisfying... just how food should be. Amazing down to the last drop, no guilt involved, just traditional, wholesome, real food. If you are curious about what I mean by "traditional", you can click on my traditional foods link on this page or google Weston A. Price. Traditional foods are the foods humans have thrived on for thousands of years. They are the foods that build strong, healthy bodies. Only recently have we been eliminating good fats from our diets and adding the bad fats, much to our detriment. Indigenous cultures around the world, use every last piece of the animal they have killed. That includes the fat! They would never only go for the lean cut of meat. They know how important those saturated fats are for our bones, muscles, brains. In our fat free, cholesterol free, carb free world, heart disease is at an all time high, as well as many other degenerative diseases.

Moving on...

We spent the rest of the weekend, hiking, relaxing, sitting by the fire and today, enjoying the SNOW! Our first real storm hit last night. We had about 3 inches. Just enough to go sledding and build a snowman in the back yard. As I sit here typing I can hear their little shrieks out the window as they play in our winter wonderland with their Daddy. I have much to be thankful for this year. Despite our stresses of the job, the finances, the house and wondering when will it all change... we have our HEALTH! We have three funny, smart, active, sweet, completely different, 100% unique, amazing kids. I have a husband who would do ANYTHING for this family, who would rather spend his day playing with his children, who loves to make me smile and is a treasure to this family and those he works with. I am thankful for Grandparents who love these little kids SO much. I am also thankful for great friends. Without them, my days would be lonely, I would be grumpy and I wouldn't crack up in the middle of the day nearly as often! They make me feel like I'm a good Mama, despite my days of little patience. They listen to me vent, bring me treats, send me funny and thoughtful emails. My girlfriends are like my co-workers. They are my soul-sistas! The icing on my organic cake :)


1 comment:

Chinny and Poom said...

YUMMMMMM. I love you too sista! I really miss blogging. Look out when I come home. It will be all about making up. We stayed an extra day. Will be home tomorrow. Miss you guys.
call ya on the LONG drive. Pray for me. :)